Thursday 19 May 2011

Humpty Dumpty


 I'm pretty skint at the moment, having decided to finally jack the day job in and concentrate on the cooking malarkey full time (hence the quietness on here for a while). I was meant to go to the Isle of Wight this weekend for my amazing friend's birthday celebrations, but have had to pull out at the last minute due to lack of funds. To cheer myself up over the fact I could no longer go to the Isle of Wight, I went on a bit of a food splurge, thanks to Marky Market and a lull in concentration at work. I ordered some Barnsley chops and a live crab (which is currently resting in my freezer), but it was the mention of  Gull eggs which had lured me in.


Gull eggs are only in season for a few weeks, from the beginning of April through to mid May. The eggs are a speckled green colour, gamey in taste and are bloody expensive !! The high price of gull eggs is down to both the short season and the fact that there are only about 25 Defra licensed Gull Egg collectors in the whole of the UK.

So when I got my delivery dropped off with the news that one of the two eggs had been broken in transit, I was both deflated at the fact that one had been broken, whilst been slightly pleased that I now had to only pay for one egg ! I was kindly given the broken Gull's egg in a ramekin - a bit of a double win for me there been a from Yorkshire and all that - and was told to make a omelette with it.

I knew that it would be a sacrilege to add some of the mild cheddar which had been languishing in the fridge for a week or two to the omelette.The previous day I had been at a little of what you fancy for a great lunch of Asparagus, Parmesan and Fried Duck Egg, with the Old Man. After thoroughly enjoying the lunch the day before,  I picked up some English Asparagus and some Berkswell Cheese on the way home

Gulls Egg, Asparagus and Berkswell Omlette

Ingredients 

1 x Gulls Egg lightly beaten and seasoned
2 x Stems of Asparagus sliced
Grated Berkswell Cheese
Knob of butter


1. Melt butter in a frying pan and add asparagus, cook for a minute.
2. Add the egg and make an omelet, sorry I can't explain step by step how to make an omelette - sorry its just making an omelette, my grandad taught me how to by showing  me rather than telling me how to do it. If your stuck check out  Delia here .
3. Just before folding the omelette, grate some Berkswell over the top, fold and then eat straight away.

So there you have it, probably the smallest most expensive omelette I have ever cooked and ever will cook.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm looks spectacular. I might search some out next year (though planning on that scale is probably beyond me). You'll be sorely missed this weekend tho. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful the council are very very near, it means two years inside plus losing your caff. Sell

    ReplyDelete