So after the horrific realization that I had managed to get sun burnt down one side of my body on a sunny Sunday afternoon in April, personally I blame the volcano, I cancelled my plans for this evening and invited Lucy (the lovely Green Onion Waitress) round to assess the damage I had done to myself and basically have a good old laugh at my expense.
Monday evenings really is the night where I really can't be bothered to cook some elaborate meal, so I didn't.
Thankfully I had made a Gruyere Cheese and Purple Sprouting Broccoli Quiche last night, half cut on the good old Lady Petrol. So the only to do was to make something to go with it, and a quick potato salad was the winner, dare I say it something easy and a bit of cheating involved - Delia would be proud ...
New Potato and Garlic Chive Salad
Enough New Potatoes for two
Good Quality Mayonnaise
1. Put potatoes on to boil
2. Mix a large teaspoon of Dijon Mustard with 2 tablespoons of Mayonnaise. As much as I wish I could say that I made my own Mayonnaise - I didn't as it was Monday evening and couldn't be doing with the faff, I used the emergency jar of good quality mayonnaise that I have in the fridge.
3. Chop up about 5 Cornichon Gherkins and add to the mayonnaise.
4. Drain potatoes and rinse with cold water to remove excess starch
5. Mix together potatoes and mayonnaise, grind fresh black pepper, add a touch of Maldon and snip garlic chives into the bowl with the potatoes and mayonnaise.
6. Mix everything together well and serve.
Was enjoyed with left over Gruyere and Purple Sprouting Broccoli Quiche, using the Garlic Chives in the Potato Salad made it taste quite refreshing in a good way. Also served with a can of Red Strip and the obligatory chat about life and boys.